Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Chain Reaction

“You inspire me.”

The lady at Curves marched with renewed vigor on the recovery pad. I had mentioned that I had run part of the way from our house to the center. It’s really not that far but it’s impressive enough for someone who has never jogged before. It felt good to have my efforts recognized and it has helped me stay motivated to do it.

I owe much of my persistence to Bill, who has been running for seven months. A high school friend was the initial impetus to get him started. They had the shared joy of running a 10K together, an experience that refueled Bill’s passion for running. He runs an average of 5 miles at a time, but has run as many as 10 miles. He is aiming to run a half-marathon in June and wants to complete a marathon by the end of this year. It’s exciting to see his progress and to support him as he pushes himself farther and harder.

There have been times when he has felt discouraged, sometimes to the point of not wanting to do it. I’m sure it’s not easy to maintain the interest or desire it takes to press on. More than a few times he has even come into the house, sweaty and tired, shaking his head when I ask if he’s glad he did it. In that moment he’s just glad he got it out of the way.

Bill has been an encouragement for others we know, too, It has been wonderful to see others take their health more seriously, not to the point of obsession or imposing their regimen upon others, though. Inspiring people to better themselves in any discipline should be empowering and positive in motive.

Hebrews 10:23-25 states how we are to inspire each other on a spiritual level, for the glory of God:

23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. 24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Hearing someone tell me how I’ve inspired them has been very encouraging, especially for those times when I just don’t have the motivation to put on my shoes and get out there. Knowing that others are watching my example, such as my husband and kids, keeps me accountable and reminds me that I am not alone in my pursuits. Children are natural imitators so, whether good or bad, I set the tone for what they say and do. With this in mind I ought to be careful and not lose hope when I don’t see immediate results. Rather I must be even more fervent and diligent and rise to the challenge that is set before me. There most likely is someone who needs to see and be moved.

Glory