I LOVE everything pineapple. Pineapple juice, fresh pineapple, pineapple upside-down cake, pineapple salad, pineapple Hawaiian shirts! And I LOVE almost everything avocado. Avocado guacamole, avocado salsa, avocado smoothies, avocado bread (but NOT avocado green refrigerators - I did say almost).
But putting pineapple and avocado together in a chilled soup was a little daring, for me, but I am more willing to take the leap when I think about all the health benefits of pineapples and avocados. For instance, pineapple is a great low-calorie food at just 50 calories per 100 grams, or about 1/2 cup. It is high in Vitamin C and is a great digestive aid, especially if eaten between meals as a snack. Avocado is also a wonderful health food, as avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid.
So I dare you to try this recipe and tell me if you're as surprised at how tasty it is as I am!
Pineapple & Avocado Gazpacho Soup
- 2 cups fresh pineapple
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 lime
- sprouts (sunflower sprouts are the best) or cilantro for a garnish
1. Remove the seeds and chop the jalapeno pepper. Wearing gloves is a great idea when you do this so that you don’t risk your fingers burning, and be careful not to touch your face or eyes until you remove the gloves and wash your hands!
2. Squeeze the juice of one lime into a blender and add 1 cup of pineapple, half an avocado, half the jalapeno pepper and the sea salt.
3. Blend the mixture well.
4. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and mix in the remaining finely chopped 1 cup of pineapple, half an avocado and half the jalapeno pepper.
5. Add a little water if you prefer a thinner soup, but I like my gazpacho thick.
6. Garnish with the cilantro or sprouts and make sure the soup is chilled!