Friday, February 18, 2011

Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Beliefs that Separate Us from the Life We Crave (NavPress)

There's havoc at the Haven! February is by far one of the busiest months so blogging inevitably falls off the priority list followed by dusting and washing windows...

So, I am offering my first attempt at a book review (yes, I try to read books, when I find something that grips my attention and between status updates on facebook). A clumsy effort which should be expected from an awkward girl like me.

Before perusing the library shelf in my search for something I could read at will, I'd never heard of author Jerusha Clark. To be honest her first name, which means "married, a possession" intrigues me. I love unusual names but hers has an almost ancient mystical sound to it.

What makes her book "Every Thought Captive" such an easy one to pick up and read whenever I find a few moments is how conversational Jerusha is in her writing. As women we carry on dialogue all day long, sometimes pausing or coming back to topics later on. It isn't so much about what she's actually saying on paper but how she says it. Friendly, warm, and reassuring that she knows what I struggle with and I believe her.

"Every Thought Captive" deals with the thoughts that plague us and prevent us from living joyful and free lives. Relying mostly on personal stories, hers and others, Jerusha applies scripture to affix truths that she has learned. As a whole the chapter format is organized and flows well. This is very important for me as I'm frequently interrupted and need to be able to pick up where I've left off.

Which, right now, is the middle of Chapter 5.

Glory

No comments: